Monday, March 10, 2008

Artist Interview 2

As you can see in my first post about the interview, I had originally intended on doing Ben Templesmith, the illustrator and co-creator for 30 Days of Night (which is now a major motion picture), as well as many other comics and graphic novels. The interview reflection was due on monday, and i hadn't gotten very much progress on scheduling the interview. Communication was very tough (I am sure that they are all very busy, because I know that they don't have very many employees at IDW) and I found the deadline creeping up on me. I knew that it probably wasn't going to work out, but I really wanted it to because I was so amped on interviewing him. He was totally different than anyone else that was being done. However, sunday night approached and I still had no word from the artist himself, so i knew I had to change my plans.

I decided to do Edmund Piffard, an amazing muralist and painter. I found his art to be truly fascinating. His paintings of nature scenes and the world were so beautiful that it reminded me that there was still beauty left in the world, even if we dont always see it. His art really spoke to me and i really appreciated his attention towards creating the feeling of actually being there, rather than only focusing on the visual aspect. His art seems to incorperate all senses, and it makes it seem as if its moving. It really puts the viewing into the piece. My artist interview proved to be extremely rewarding, and beneficial to me. I learned a lot of good advice including technical and pratical. The main thing that I learned is to follow your goals, and stick to it, don't give up because if you try hard enough, it will come eventually.

No comments: