Sunday, March 9, 2008

Salvation Mountain

I should have blogged about this while it was still fresh, but the impact of it is still in my ricocheting around in my brain. We drove for about two hours our to El Centro (which, if you've never been there is the middle of nowhere). We finally reached our surprise destination, Salvation Mountain. Salvation Mountain... a huge mound of painted adobe thats over 50 feet tall and 150 feet wide. The theme of the art "Jesus is Love". We met the creator, Leonard Knight, who is an older fellow who has spent much of his life building this monument to god. This was one of the coolest things that i have ever seen and i really appreciated it. The beautiful colors, paintings of waterfalls and flowers, biblical qoutes and amazing structures teamed up to be unlike anything I had ever seen. And although I'm not religious, I still found it fascinating, and respect the dedication and effort that leonard has put forth into creating this master piece. I'm sitting here trying to think of words to describe its strange yet amazing nature, but no words in the world (haha or atleast that i know of) can illustrate this wonderous place (and even the picture below doesn't do it justice, for one to truly understand they must experience it in person)



My favorite thing about it was the fact that it was interactive. You could walk up paths, wander around the roofs and crawl through tunnels. I also really like how he incorperated unwanted "trash" into it. Although I'm not sure whether this is what he intended by doing that or not, it sort of conveys the message that everyone is important, and even if you don't look perfect, you're still beautiful in other ways. Awww <3 Im such a sweetheart.





1 comment:

Unknown said...

You should check out this bands new CD. The cover of the album is inspired by Salvation Mountain. The band is called Third Day.